How do you spot a superhero? His iconic costume, duh.
Every new version, volume, installment or resurrection of popular superheroes may feature new plot twists or interpretations – but the appearance of the main character always remains the same.
This is why fan art (re-interpretations of popular comics) is so popular: it’s easy to add your own spin while always keeping it clear who you’re representing. It’s also why costumes are such a huge part of the pre-release movie buzz (i.e. today’s Captain America costume reveal).
Notice how each of these artistic interpretations has a totally unique style, yet America’s favorite superhero is instantly recognized:
1. A watercolor-like look:
2. Child-like illustration with a “cute” feel to it:
3. Based on the original Superman Movie:
4. A dark, resurrection pose:
5. Half funny, half depressing. 100% interesting:
6. Art Deco Superman:
7. Evil Superbot
8. A sepia-like twist:
9. Created using a “rapidograph”, used for architectural drawings:
10. I think this is a calf?